Tel: 01226-744716
Hoyland Insurance
Brokers Ltd.
1000false dots bottomright 320false false 800none
  • 5000 slideleft false 60 bottom 30

Insurance for Unoccupied Buildings

A second UK lockdown has forced a number of businesses to re-closClosed-pexels-photo-2467649e their doors, and shines a light once again on insurance for unoccupied buildings.

Any landlord that has had an empty building for a length of time will probably be well aware of the difficulties in covering an unoccupied building and in a lot of circumstances insurers will automatically restrict the cover they provide, often removing theft, escape of water, and storm damage along with other perils.

If a property you own and insure is going to be vacant for any length of time, whether due to a lockdown or simply tenants moving out, it’s important to check the conditions of your policy for the period of unoccupancy.

Most insurers will have some variation of the following control measures:

– Inspect the property at regular intervals (usually every week or two) and document the inspections and any findings

– Ensure all physical security measures are in place and the intruder alarm is set to prevent unlawful entry

– Remove all waste materials from the property and regularly remove any build-up of post

– Turn off electricity, gas, and water supply except where required to power intruder/fire alarm systems or sprinkler systems

Many insurers will also require notification as soon as a property becomes unoccupied.

We’re available for any further advice or guidance regarding your property insurance queries, and we have access to a number of insurers who will provide full cover whilst properties are vacant as opposed to restricting cover.

© 2021 Hoyland Insurance Brokers Ltd.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
Company Registration Number: 1404770
FCA Firm Reference Number: 301204